Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pumpkin Pudding Recipe.

I love  pumpkin anything, it is one of my favorite vegetables. I therefore have it growing in abundance in my garden, or at least I try to.  I am always making curries, pies, bars, breads and bars.  However every now and then I feel like doing something different, like 'Pumpkin fudge' (still working out a few kinks) and 'Pumpkin Pudding'.  I always end up making two batches, which I refrigerate; one for me - vegan version  and the regular version for my beau.  As promised here is my go to 'Pumpkin Pudding' recipe; 
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup raw brown sugar (or any kind of sugar)
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  •  2 cups pumpkin puree'
*You can also use only 1tablespoon of butter if you want to cut the fat.

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
  2. In a saucepan bring the milk to a boil. Slowly whisk in the egg mixture.
  3. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add the butter, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree.
  4. Let cool in the refrigerator with plastic wrap on top so that it does not form a skin.
  5. Serve topped with chopped pecans (optional)
This recipe can be simply altered to make it suitable for diabetics, vegan and gluten free.

Diabetic
Replace regular sugar with splenda equivalent measurement for sweetener, or decrease the amount of sugar and add some apple juice.  However you will have to add a touch more cornstarch to balance out the consistency of the mixture. 

Vegan & Gluten free
Replace eggs with equivalent egg re-placer to five (5) eggs or use no eggs at all, the cornstarch will hold the pumpkin together.  Instead of whole milk use any non diary milk of your choice. Additionally, instead of using butter you can use spectrum vegan butter or any type of vegan butter. If the health store is out (after all we do live in the B.V.I) you can use coconut butter/oil.


let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment